Learning TRENDS by Elliott Masie - July 3, 2012.
#728 - Updates on Learning, Business & Technology.
55,739 Readers - www.masie.com - twitter: emasie - The MASIE Center.
Host: Video for Learning LAB & Studio - July in Saratoga Springs, NY.
1. Father of the “Learning Organization” Concept Dies.
2. Infographics and Learning.
3. Save with Early Registration Discount for Learning 2012.
1. Father of the “Learning Organization” Concept Dies: A psychologist who was deeply influential in the field of workplace learning and organizational culture, Dr. Harry Levinson, died at age 90 this Tuesday.
While his name is not familiar to many in the learning field, his work introduced the concept of the “Learning Organization” and the leader as “teacher”, which has been quite influential in corporate settings. I remember reading his book “The Exceptional Executive” while in organizational psychology in college - and saw the threads of what would become systemic approaches to employee development and training. I met him briefly in the 1980s, at a conference on the psychological contract between employees and employers, and was impressed by his advocacy of leadership characters that would instill trust at the workplace way before the word trust became a hot topic.
“My philosophy of life is reflected in my behavior… and includes a number of significant elements: deep concern about my family; support of humanitarian causes; appreciation of the value of continuous learning; helping other people grow and develop; and believing in fair play and integrity, which is what a teacher is all about, and which is where I started.”
His obituary can be read at: http://tinyurl.com/7djusn6
2. Infographics and Learning: We are exploring the power and potential of using Infographics as a key in the learning development process. Think of an Infographic as a visual “shorthand” that moves from text/bullets to using information graphics in an age of increasingly shortened attention spans.
The MASIE Center is building an action lab at Learning 2012, to provide real time experiences in creating Infographics that can be part of a learning program or performance support activity. We are working on simpler design approaches that would create meaningful expression of:
* Numerical Data or Scorecards.
* Research Findings.
* Business Process Steps.
* Content/Context Mapping.
* Visualization of Social/Collaborative Contributions.
* Learning at the Moment of Need (OJT) Charts.
To see a fun blog on Infographics go to: http://www.coolinfographics.com/ In the coming months, we will be building a Learning Infographics gallery with a wide range of sample Infographics leveraged in learning projects. And, at Learning 2012, we will have both a keynote demonstration and action lab to support leveraging Infographics as key elements in a design.
3. Save with Early Registration Discount for Learning 2012: Save hundreds of dollars on Learning 2012 Early Registration by July 15th. You can place your registration now and request billing for Learning 2012 by going to http://www.learning2012.com
Yours in learning,
MASIE Center Seminars, Events and Services:
* Learning Directions - New York City (July 10th)
* Video for Learning LAB - July in Saratoga Springs.
* Learning 2012 - Oct 21 - 24, 2012 - Orlando, Florida.
* Membership in The Learning CONSORTIUM
Info and Registration: http://www.masie.com - twitter: emasie