Learning TRENDS by Elliott Masie - December 19, 2016
#947 - Global: Visual Translation, Captions for Learning & Engagement!
www.masie.com - Twitter: @emasie - The MASIE Center - 57,255 Readers
Global Learning: Visual Translate, Caption & Engagement!
I am sending today’s TRENDS from Venice as part of a 2 week trip to Saudi Arabia, Dubai, and now Italy. Here are some perspectives about working, learning, and collaborating on a global basis. As our organizations and colleagues are working across the globe, we need to innovate our approaches. A few examples and studies:
- Visual Translation on Your Phone! I have been using the Camera/Visual Translation capacity in the Google Translate App. I can point my phone at words in Italian and my phone will do an Augmented Reality /Translation into English. It is different and exciting to have that form of real time translation.
I pointed it at a projected PowerPoint and could read most of the text in English. And, it works in a wide range of languages that are expanding. I have used German, Spanish, and Italian and was impressed with the real-time effect. http://tinyurl.com/cameratranslate
- Captions for Learning: Learners who are learning in a second language can often find amazing benefit in the optional use of Captions in learning content - from documents to video. In addition, learners that have a learning disability, which may be as many as 15% of the workforce, may also benefit from Captions. Here is a recent research paper from Oregon State University on learning captioning. Check it out at: http://tinyurl.com/learningcaptions
- Global Learning Engagement: Working as a learning professional on a global basis requires balancing your own teaching style with the cultural norms of a country that you are visiting (in person or virtually). While I was delivering my keynote speech on Learning Changes in Saudi Arabia for SABIC, I wanted to engage the 150 executives in a discussion about their favorite teachers. I asked them to stand up in the briefing auditorium and engage in a dialogue about their most memorable teacher as they grew up. The room came alive - sharing their own stories about storytelling and teaching. Don’t be afraid to ask global colleagues to engage! Here is a picture from that meeting:
Learning Innovations LAB Added in February: We have filled our Learning Innovations LAB in January. So, we are adding a new session that I will lead from Feb 1-3 in Saratoga Springs, NY. It is a very high energy, hands-on exploration of new and emerging learning innovations, technology, and methodologies. Space is limited and online registration is open at: http://www.masie.com
Yours in Learning,
Host, Learning 2017
MASIE Center Seminars, Events and Services:
- Learning Innovations LAB - Feb 1-3, 2017 Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Membership in The Learning CONSORTIUM.
- Learning 2017- October 22 to 25- Orlando, Florida.
Details and Online Registration: http://www.masie.com