Learning TRENDS by Elliott Masie - September 23, 2016.
#934 - Updates on Learning, Business & Technology.
57,543 Readers - www.masie.com - twitter: emasie - The MASIE Center.
Host: Learning 2016, Oct 23 to 26, Orlando - 1,327 Colleagues Registered
1. AudioBooks Sales Soar & e-Books Sales Shrink!
2. Escape Room for Learning? Yes!
3. Allegiance to Movie Theaters in December.
1. AudioBooks Sales Soar & e-Books Sales Shrink! There is an intriguing and perhaps forward indicator of content preferences in a recent report from the Association of American Publishers.
In the first 3 months of 2016, E-book sales fell by 21.8 percent. Yet, sales of Digital Audiobooks rose by 35.3 percent. I sense a growing move towards “mobility” of content and the watch/listen vs. read preference for many adult readers. One by one, I am finding friends and colleagues who are avid listeners to Audiobooks in their long and short car rides. And, we have noticed a reduction in the utilization of ebooks in corporate training and learning programs.
In fact, in one university program that I teach, the students were given 6 ebook version of the textbooks. When I started my class, I asked them to indicate in a private poll how much of the ebook they had read. The answers were from 0% to 5%. Yet, most had spent considerable time on video segments and audio podcasts that were online from the faculty, including myself. The shift is interesting and we should explore that as we project content formats and modes for our program development.
2. Escape Room for Learning? Yes! Imagine a room, locked for 45 minutes, with a group of learners attempting to learn and “game” their way out by collaborating and solving a learning challenge. We are building a unique Escape Room for Learning at Learning 2016. Participants will have an opportunity to both help design some Escape Room learning challenges and also to be “locked up” in this high intensity simulation. We will look at the way in which the time based Escape Room mode can impact learning and risk taking. (Note, for those of you sweating as you read this, there will be a safety person to allow an early exit if a learner feels the need to leave.) We believe that we can design Escape Room activities for content across the spectrum for Leadership, Delegation, Procurement, IT Systems and more. There will be lock boxes, scenery and time pressure applied with a smile.
Read about our Escape Room for Learning: http://www.learning2016.com/item/escape-room-for-learning
3. Allegiance to Movie Theaters in December: TRENDS readers know that MASIE Productions was one of the Producers for the Broadway show about the internment of Japanese Americans in World War II with George Takei, Lea Salonga and Telly Leung.
After several months on Broadway, we wanted to extend the story to people on a much wider basis. Yesterday, we announced that Allegiance will be shown in over 400 movie theaters around the US on the night of December 13th. We had videotaped one of our last performances on Broadway and secured the rights from the cast and company to bring Allegiance to a theater near you. Details at: http://allegiancemusical.com/
Yours in Learning,
MASIE Center Seminars, Events and Services:
- Membership in The Learning CONSORTIUM.
- Learning 2016 - October 23 to 26 - Orlando, Florida.
Info and Registration: http://www.masie.com