Elliott Masie’s Learning TRENDS - April 11, 2017
#961 - Updates on Learning, Business & Technology Since 1997.
57,626 Readers - www.masie.com - The MASIE Center.
1. Passover Today: Learning, Stories and Questions
2. Lucky Latkes: New Horse for MASIE Stable
1. Passover Today: Learning, Stories and Questions: One of my favorite Jewish Holidays is happening today. Passover is a holiday that taught me the importance of stories, learning and questions. So, each Passover, I combine an Elliott cooked Matzo Ball soup with reflections on the learning process and importance of questions.
Passover has a ritual of the “4 Questions” that are asked by the youngest family member at the Sedar (celebration dinner). These questions are part of an evening of telling the Passover Stories of the Jewish Slaves leaving Egypt in olden times. Songs about liberty, family and faith are mixed with stories about historic events of freedom. We would hear my father read from Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address or my mom reading a poem about liberty. But, asking the 4 Questions were my part, from age 4 on. Here is a sample of my annual questions:
“What makes this night different from all other nights?”
“On all other nights, we eat either sitting upright or reclining. Why on this night do we all recline?”
The key was to ask this and other questions to trigger conversations and the telling of the stories. And, it was powerful as a child to be given a key role in a family celebration - where the task was to ask a question and engage in the conversation and learning that it triggered. I would say that several of my adult skills as a facilitator, interviewer and storyteller could be traced back to my nights of asking the 4 Questions of Passover.
I send Passover greetings to my TRENDS friends and colleagues around the world, in the season where we also celebrate Easter and other holidays. Let us continue to embrace learning, stories, questions and a passion for celebrating freedom throughout our lives.
2. Lucky Latkes: New Horse for MASIE Stable: As TRENDS readers may know, MASIE Stables owns and breeds racing thoroughbreds. Miss Matzo (quite an appropriate name in this Passover season) recently gave birth to her sixth filly. Her father is called Lookin’ at Lucky. We named her yesterday - Lucky Latkes (think amazing potato pancakes). Here is a pic of her and Miss Matzo:
Yours in learning,
MASIE Center Seminars, Events and Services:
- Curation & Learning LAB - May 9-11, 2017 Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Learning Systems & Tools ‘17 - April 19 & 20, Chicago, IL.
- Membership in The Learning CONSORTIUM.
- Learning 2017 - October 22 to 25- Orlando, Florida.
Details and Online Registration: http://www.masie.com