Learning TRENDS by Elliott Masie - January 26, 2016.
#904 - Updates on Learning, Business & Technology.
57,195 Readers - www.masie.com - twitter: emasie - The MASIE Center.
Host: Learning Systems: LMS, LCMS, Social & More! - Chicago in April.
1. Learning Systems: LMS, LCMS, Social & More! - Chicago in April.
2. Hot Water Free - Bandwidth Costs?
1. Learning Systems: LMS, LCMS, Social & More! - Chicago in April: 2016 is a perfect time for an industry conversation about our Learning Systems. Learning organizations are deploying, shifting, extending, refining, switching and re-thinking their Learning Management System, LCMS, and Collaborative & Social Systems - and looking ahead. We are honored to announce a new event:
Learning Systems: LMS, LCMS, Social & More!
April 27 and 28, 2016 - Chicago, IL, USA.
Elliott Masie, Host & Curator.
Here are some of the key focus points:
* Learning Systems are evolving and new capabilities are emerging from other educational sectors: Khan Academy, K-12, Higher Education, Social Networks and non-traditional providers.
* Learning Systems are extending to the worlds of Talent, Machine Learning, Badging, Big Data, Learning Personalization and beyond.
* Learning Systems are morphing and requiring deeper readiness for Mobile Learners, Learning Personalization and Compliance/Regulatory Requirements.
* Learning Systems: LMS, LCMS, Social & More will bring together a collaborative group of senior learning leaders, learning systems designers, learning innovators and global colleagues in Chicago on April 27 and 28. Our Forum will take a sharp look at current and future roles for today’s and tomorrow’s Learning Systems.
Here are some of the key questions and topics that we will explore at Learning Systems: LMS, LCMS, Social & More:
- Current Deployment and Shifts in Learning Management Systems.
- Can Learning Systems Support Learning Personalization?
- The Evolving Role of “Search” & Learning Systems.
- So Many Learning Systems in One Company? Why? And the Future!
- The Role of Big Learning Data, xAPI & Learning Systems.
- Talent and Learning Systems: Acquisitions and Integrations?
- Learning Systems and User Created Content: Trackable?
- Learning Apps and Learning Systems: From Portals to My App!
- Assessment, Evaluation and Learning Systems: An Evidence Model.
- Social Side of Learning Systems: Webinars, Collaboration & More.
- 3 CLOs’ Views of Learning Systems: Embracing, Extending or Frustration.
- User Experience & Learning Systems.
- Learning Systems, Badging, Credentials & Career Focus.
- Costs, Budgeting & Futures of Learning Systems.
- Real Time Benchmarking of Learning Systems Yield & Challenges…
For details and online registration: http://www.masie.com/learningsystems .
2. Hot Water Free - Bandwidth Costs? Many TRENDS readers book hotel space for learning meetings, classes and events. One of the strange things (and costs) is the rising price of bandwidth for your participants.
When you book your room, costs for food, coffee, AV and other elements are predictable. But, there is a rising cost for bandwidth access for your participants. Meeting planners have to answer questions about projected bandwidth needs such as:
- How many people will be at the meeting?
- How many of them will have mobile devices? (starting to be 90% to 99%)
- How many wireless devices will each have? (could be from 1 to 4 - including laptops, tablets or phones).
- How many parts of the hotel meeting space will the participants be in that require wireless access? (from 1 to many)
Then, the hotel will have to turn to the wireless supplier and the costs start to rise. There is a calculation of the total bandwidth that your group might use. And, the total number of devices that will be on - requiring a large number of modem points. And, perhaps this is replicated in multiple places at the meeting space.
It is not unusual to get a proposal for wireless costs that could be in the thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars!
It is a tough moment. The hotels want to provide the meeting spaces and wireless capacity that is needed. Most hotels are not “pre-wired” for high levels of access. So, there is often the need to crank up the hardware and add additional streams of bandwidth. Strangely, many hotels don’t make much money on it since it is handled by the wireless provider under contract.
As a meeting producer, each year I have conversations with hotels about the strangeness of paying for wireless access for my participants. I often say, with a smile, that I don’t have to pay extra for hot water in the bathrooms based on the number of people who are washing their hands during a break. But, our wireless capacity is lagging behind the wireless demand for participants. Be direct! Negotiate! And understand that we are in a bandwidth gap for the next few years. But, don’t break the bank and keep thinking about those motels a few decades ago that had signs outside that said: Free TV - Free Air Conditioning - Free Hot Water.
Yours in learning,
Host, Learning 2016
MASIE Center Seminars, Events and Services:
- Learning Innovations LAB - March 14 to 16 - Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Membership in The Learning CONSORTIUM.
- Learning 2016 - October 23 to 26 - Orlando, Florida.
Info and Registration: http://www.masie.com